Staples environmental work is to be characterized by a holistic view aiming at openness, professionalism and reliability for a sustainable development. We are committed to leading the industry in minimising the impact of our activities on the environment and details are contained within our environmental policy – please click here to download.
The Company’s Quality, Health, Safety and Environmental (QHSE) Manager is responsible on a day to day basis for the implementation of the Environmental Policy across all business areas.
All senior managers are responsible for ensuring deviations from the Company’s Policy are reported to the QHSE Manager so that improvement plans are developed and initiated.
All the components for our products come from reliable sources. We ensure that our suppliers are equally committed to sustainability and environmentally friendly production processes just as we are.
We hold FSC® (Forest Stewardship Council®) Certification – a quality standard issued to show that wood is sourced from a forest that is managed in an environmentally responsible, socially beneficial and economically viable manner. At Staples the following policy is endorsed by our Managing Director – Paul Francis.
“We at Staples endeavour to the best of our abilities to implement procedures so that we do not purchase any wood or wood fibre from the sources deemed as controversial such as the following categories described:
a) Illegally harvested wood;
b) Wood harvested in violation of traditional and civil rights;
c) Wood harvested in forests where high conservation values are threatened by management activities;
d) Wood harvested in forests being converted to plantations or non-forest use;
e) Wood from forests in which genetically modified trees are planted.”
Please click here to view our FSC certificate.
Staples are passionately and actively committed to ensuring that our ongoing manufacturing activities do not have a negative impact on the environment. By buying a Staples bed you are: Investing in end of life product design.
Staples are committed to developing beds that can be wholly or partially recyclable at the end of their life. It is our continuing mission to source and utilise materials used in the production of a Staples mattress that have a genuine end of life use as well as a low carbon foot print.
Mattress disposal is a massive challenge for the United Kingdom bed industry. It is not a statutory requirement, but it is a moral obligation of all manufacturers to have a sound and auditable mattress recycling process available to all of its customers. Staples is in the process of developing that process. We are in discussions with JBS Fibre Recovery Ltd on how we can accelerate this. For information, we hold the contract to supply all mattresses to a prestigious sporting occasion that will be held in London in summer 2012 and JBS are our partner to ensure all mattresses are recycled at the end.
At Staples we understand and recognise the need to act responsibly towards the environment and stakeholders. Amongst other values, we are committed to quality, innovation, communication, value and excellent service. It is absolutely crucial to our business to make sure the following criteria are met:
- Working closely with our customers: from initial idea to delivery stage we aim to work in close cooperation with our customers to ensure the accurate and timely delivery of products that satisfy customers and end users. We are open to any ideas and suggestions in order to improve the quality and value of our products and ensure consumer satisfaction.
- Excellent service: we aim to maintain the highest level of professional service and customer orientated behaviour. We ensure that it is executed at every stage of our business.
- Responsible procurement: we maintain excellent relations with our suppliers to ensure that every component we buy is of highest quality and responsibly sources in accordance with our current policies and procedures, such as FSC and environmental policy.
- Innovation and communication: we always seek new ideas and look for new innovative ways of manufacturing our products. Our dedicated new product development team ensures that via many communication channels we work closely with all stakeholders to achieve the highest standards.
Social and Ethical Policy Statement
In order to assure our customers that the products they purchase come from socially responsible and ethical places of work we adopted the following criteria:
- Health & Safety: at every point of our activities we ensure the health & safety practices and regulations are fully met and that we work in a safe and healthy environment. We regularly train our workers and provide them with necessary personal protective equipment ensuring that safety awareness is widely promoted.
- Equality: throughout our business we promote equal opportunities and do not tolerate any form of discrimination
- Working conditions: we promote fair and ethical treatment of all our employees. In January 2012 we successfully participated in Sedex Members Ethical Trade Audit where our employees were asked a number of questions about their working conditions and treatment by the company. These interviews where conducted independently and resulted in a report that gave us a clean bill of health and also identified good examples such as good standard of Health & Safety and good company benefits for employees. Please click here to view our report.